When I told my friend Elke who was showing me around NYC that I was doing a bakery crawl, she said I had to add Baked by Melissa onto my list. “They have the cutest mini cupcakes – seriously, they are bite-sized!” Of course, I said! But I didn’t understand the mini obsession, I mean I’ve had small cupcakes before, why was she so excited about them?
Once we arrived, I exclaimed “Oh my god! They are so tiny and cute!” Elke just gave me the “I told you so” stare. Yes, these cupcakes are literally bite-size! And they only offer the mini size. But that is totally fine by me because then we were able to try all 11 flavors! Melissa’s flavors are certainly fun too –Chocolate Chip Pancake, S’mores, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Cookie Dough!
Their shop is pretty bite-size too – just enough space for a display case, a cash register and about 2-3 customers. There might be a line out the door, but don’t worry it moves quickly and you’ll be onto mini cupcake land in no time.
What to Get:
- Chocolate Chip Pancake: This is a little pancake in my mouth, it even had the maple flavor added in, I really wanted more than a mini bite of this one!
- Cookie Dough: Moist vanilla cake with chocolate frosting and real cookie dough filling on the inside, it was a great combination
- Cookies & Cream: This seriously tasted like an Oreo. The frosting was just like the inside of an Oreo, without question, plus it even had a little bite of real Oreo on top, so if you are an Oreo lover, you will want this one!
- Hours: Sun-Thurs: 8am-10pm; Fri-Sat: 8am-11pm
- Seating: There are no seats at the Union Square location, so plan on enjoying these little cupcakes in the park across the street, at home/hotel, or just on the go!
- Other Locations: Also in SoHo, Grand Central and the Fashion District of NYC
- Delivery! Not in NYC anytime soon but still want to try one? They deliver nationwide! Check out their website for details