Hello and happy June!!!
I’m sure I will sound like an old lady when saying this, but how in the world is it June already? Seems like the spring just flew by. Not that I am complaining. Summer in Oregon is pretty darn great – beautiful weather, tons of Farmer’s Markets with delicious fresh fruit (I seriously can eat a pint of strawberries in about two minutes) and all sort of fun events around town!
If you are looking for some additional activities to add to your summer calendar, here are some of the ones I’m looking most forward to:
- What: Each week, a celebrated chef will give a free cooking demonstration to the public. Learn from the best about what to do with all the delicious produce we get here in Oregon.
- When: Every Saturday at 10am from June 2nd to October 6th
- Where: PSU Farmer’s Market at SW Park & Montgomery
- How Much: FREE!
- What: Fabulous farm-to-fork dinners that truly showcase Oregon’s bounty. These dinners include a tour of the featured farm for the night, a four or five-course meal prepared by a distinguished local chef and of course a wine or beer pairing. You’ll hear from both the farmers and the chefs preparing the meal.
- When: Saturday and Sundays from June 30th to August 26th, starting at 5pm
- Where: All over the Portland Metro area – check out their website for specific details for each event
- How Much: $125-150 per person, depending on the dinner
- Tickets are almost sold out! So book your dinner soon!
- What: For a slightly different take on the numerous beer fests in Portland, check out the fruit beer fest, featuring about 25 (mostly local) breweries serving up fruity concoctions like Strawberry Rhubarb Pie from Breakside Brewery and Apple-Weizen from Hopworks
- When: Saturday, June 9th – Sunday, June 10th, opening at 11am
- Where: Burnside Brewing Co at NE Burnside & 7th Ave
- How Much: $20 for both days, a glass and 12 tickets
- What: If you are anything like me and not the biggest fan of beers, but still want to enjoy the whole beer fest thing that is so big in Portland, the Cider Summit NW might just be your thing! This year’s cider fest will include about 25 cideries from all over the world.
- When: Saturday, June 23rd 11am – 7pm
- Where: South Waterfront – Elizabeth Caruthers Park at SW Gaines Street & SW Bond Avenue
- How Much: $20 advance; $25 at door
- What: Combining with the Rose Festival, 18 different wineries are coming to the city to show off their rosé wines.
- When: Thursday, June 14th 5pm – 8pm
- Where: Montgomery Park at NW Vaughn & 27th Ave
- How Much: $25 for entry, wine tastings and food pairing
- What: An awesome 4 days of events celebrating Portland’s culinary and produce scene. Feast Portland has several different events, all with local and visiting chefs doing demos, speaking on panels and serving up great food. Top of my agenda is “Chocolate City USA” which is a panel of Sebastian Cervantes of Cocanu, David Briggs of Xocolatl de David, and Sarah Hart of Alma Chocolate.
- When: Thursday September 20th – Sunday, September 23rd
- Where: All over town – check out their website for specific details for each event
- How Much: Varies – you can buy tickets for each specific event you want to attend, with events starting at $45 or you can buy a full weekend pass for around $350