Jacques Torres is known as the guru of chocolate. He has won the James Beard award (like the Oscars for chefs) for the Pastry Chef of the Year and numerous other awards. He has a show on the Food Network about chocolate. He is big time. His website says it all “Mr. Chocolate.” Of course I had to see for myself.
There was a large counter of chocolate truffles that all looked amazing. They were beautiful looking but not to the point you wouldn’t want to bite into it. Seeing as I was at the master of chocolate’s shop, I decided to go with a little sampling of truffles –
Fresh Squeezed Lemon: this was my favorite – thick dark chocolate infused with fresh lemon juice.
- European Peanut Butter: smooth nut butter made from peanuts and hazelnuts covered in high-quality milk chocolate, so creamy it melts in your mouth
- Love Bug: creamy white chocolate with a hint of key lime, plus it comes with an adorable little lady bug decorated on top
- Caramel Nut Noir: chewy soft caramel with a crispy hazelnut crunch on the inside
Each and every truffle was delicious and definitely gets my approval.
If you are looking for some gifts to give, this is a great place to check out. They have numerous delectable items to choose from – wrapped chocolate covered almonds, dark chocolate bark, hot chocolate mixes, the list could go on and on.
What to Get:
- Wicked Hot Chocolate: this is drinking chocolate with a kick. It is Jacques Torres’ classic hot chocolate (which is thick, creamy and chocolately) with some ground chili peppers, allspice, and cinnamon added in. It’s not overly spicy but it is rich, so you probably won’t be able to drink much more than a few sips
- Chocolate Chip Cookie: Big thin but chewy cookie with tons of chocolate chunks
- Variety of chocolate truffles
- Hours: Mon-Sat: 10am-8pm; Sun: 10am-7pm
- Seating: There isn’t really seating in the Jacques Torres shop but it is right in Chelsea Market, which is basically a permanent, indoor farmer’s market (perfect for foodies!), and there is lots of seating inside. If it’s nice out, take your goodies outside to Highline Park right across the street and up the stairs – it’s a beautiful park built above the street on old train tracks
- Other Locations: Rockefeller Center, Hudson Street, DUMBO, Amsterdam Ave, and Harrah’s in Atlantic City
- Delivery: Not in New York but still want to try out his chocolate? Order online!