So truth be told, I never really liked banana cream pie, I always loved bananas but thought the combination with custard in a dessert seemed weird. Then I got a job as an accountant at McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants corporate office. One of McCormick’s top restaurants is Jake’s Famous Crawfish, where my new team took me for lunch on my first day. I was told I had to try the banana cream pie – “it is incredible!” my new manager exclaimed. I didn’t want to appear like a whiner by saying I didn’t like banana cream pie, so I obliged. Plus who am I to say no to a dessert?!
My manager was right, very right. It was fantastic. The custard is light and creamy, the bananas never too ripe, and the crust is tasty and not overpowered by the rest of the pie. My favorite part though is definitely the caramel sauce drizzled over the top with the fresh whipped cream.
What to Get:
- Banana Cream Pie: creamy custard, sliced bananas, caramel sauce, shortbread crust and fresh whipped cream
- Chocolate Bag: chocolate shaped like a brown bag filled with white chocolate mousse, fresh fruit medley of raspberries, blueberries and marionberries, topped with fresh whipped cream and raspberry sauce
- Jake’s Famous Truffle Cake: decadent flourless chocolate cake, wonderfully paired with raspberry coulis and fresh whipped cream
- Hours: Mon-Thurs: 11:30am-10pm; Fri-Sat: 11:30am-12am; Sun: 3pm-10pm
- Parking: Some metered street parking is available nearby, but if you can’t find any or don’t want to drive around looking, Jake’s offers valet parking on the weekends. There also is a public parking garage just one block from Jake’s with an entrance on SW 12th Ave just before you reach Jake’s.
- Seating: Jake’s is primarily known as a full-service, sit-down dinner restaurant so there is plenty of seating both in the main dining room and in the bar. However during the dinner hours on Friday and Saturday, and also during happy hour in the bar, seating can be more difficult to find. Try coming after the HH/dinner rush, or make reservations by calling or checking out OpenTable.com.
- Lunch/Dinner: Jake’s serves great seafood, fish and steak. Definitely stop in for lunch or dinner (I personally really like their Macademia Nut Crusted Wild Halibut), but be sure to save room for dessert 🙂
National Banana Cream Pie Day! Another fun fact – during my research for this post, I learned that March 2nd is National Banana Cream Pie Day! You probably should have Banana Cream Pie more than once a year, but that is definitely a day to do it!