I made my friend Jenna a super tasty layered chocolate cake with white chocolate frosting for her birthday. The cake, which was from a Saint Cupcake recipe, is light, fluffy and rich, just the way a cake should be. I have been asked not to share the recipe since it will soon be in a Saint Cupcake cookbook (which will be fabulous!), but here is the frosting recipe! It is creamy, buttery and just a tad chocolately.
Recipe adapted from Baked‘s frosting recipe for their Whiteout Cake
- 3oz white chocolate, coursely chopped
- 3/4C sugar
- 1/6 C all-purpose flour
- 3/4C lowfat milk
- 1/4 heavy cream
- 10T (1.25 sticks) unsalted butter, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2t vanilla
- Using a double boiler, melt the white chocolate and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and flour. Add the milk and cream, and cook over medium heat until it reaches a boil and has thickened, about 15 minutes. Be sure to stir often to prevent burning.
- Pour the milk mixture to an electric mixer and beat on high until cooled, about 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add the butter. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and white chocolate and mix until combined.
- Place frosting in the refridgerator if too soft for cake decorating.