I was beyond excited when Lovejoy Bakers opened up in the Pearl District in 2009 – a reasonably-priced café with freshly baked cookies and pastries and delicious sandwiches on their own freshly made bread and rolls. The café is so inviting with their big windows, fun chalkboard menu, and their large pastry case and bread rack full of tasty treats.
I come here often, especially after I’ve finished a long run and need to “replenish my carbohydrates” – cookies are great for that, right? I am always intrigued to try something different since their menu is extensive and everything sounds great. Whether I pick up their Orange Hazelnut Danish or the Mediterranean Sandwich with hummus, fennel and tomatoes on their multigrain bread, it is always delicious and I can’t wait to go back.
Another thing that makes me like Lovejoy Bakers so much is that their owners are actively involved. Marc Frankel, who also owns Pizzicato Pizza (awesome pizza and salads, by the way) is one of the co-0wners of Lovejoy Bakers and I see him almost every time I go in – he makes sure everything is running smoothly, delivers food to guests, and gives everyone who walks in the door a welcoming smile. Not that I have anything against national chains (they can have great food and welcoming service) but I do love going to small, locally-owned businesses that take pride in treating their customers well and not to mention, making some delicious, high-quality food!
What to Get:
- Triple Chocolate Cookie: Gooey, brownie-like chocolate cookie filled with white chocolate chips. If you are having a chocolate craving, this is the way to go.
- Pecan Sticky Bun: The outside layer was crisp and sweet, covered in a delicious caramel, sugar drizzle. The inside layer was soft dough filled with cinnamon, raisins, and of course caramelized pecans. Even better if heated up a little.
- Baguette: Great flavor, crunchy crust and doughy, soft inside, these baguettes are awesome. Great as an appetizer with some cheese or just as good straight out of the bag by itself!
Hours: Every day 6am-8pm
- Lunch/Dinner: Lovejoy Bakers also offers a delicious assortment of breakfast sandwiches, lunch sandwiches, salads and soups. During the summer, they also offer a sit-down dinner menu.
- Seating: Lovejoy Bakers has a large amount of seating, both little tables and a large communal table which seats about 8-10 people. There also is plentiful seating outside
- Parking: Almost all the streets nearby offer metered, street parking, but on the weekends it may be difficult to find a spot right by the entrance. However Lovejoy Bakers is located in a great area filled with nice parks and fun shops, so if the weather is nice, you won’t mind walking a couple blocks
*Update: Check out this follow-up post including a few words from Marc Frankel!