Monika from HipCooks graciously allowed me to post the recipe for the delicious potato salad we made in our cooking class last weekend.
So give it a whirl, it tastes great, is super quick and easy to make but is definitely a crowd pleaser!
New Potato, Green Bean, Basil and Pine Nut salad
This salad is a perfect for barbecues and potlucks. Plus it is simple and quick to make!
- 8 new potatoes, multicolored – use baby red potatoes, Peruvian purple and young yellow potatoes; unpeeled and quartered
- 1/2 pound green beans, frozen or fresh, cut into 1″ segments
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch basil, chiffonaded
- 1/4C pine nuts, toasted (about 4-5 minutes in the oven)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt (I suggest Jacobsen Salt)
- Cook the potatoes in a pot of boiling water for about 4 minutes. Monitor carefully, since potatoes go fast. When they are almost done (when you can just barely stick a fork fully into the potatoes), add the beans for 2 minutes until bright green and still crunchy. (Skip this step if you are using previously frozen). Carefully pour into a colander and then immediately shock in cold water to halt the cooking process and prevent mushing. Drain, and put into a salad bowl.
- Prepare the salad by adding the garlic, basil and pine nuts to the potatoes and beans. Sprinkle sea salt along with a few turns around the bowl with extra virgin olive oil and mix until well combined.
- Don’t forget the all important step of tasting. Need anything else? More of something? This is where you get to make your own spin on the salad – taste the salad until you are happy with the flavors.
- Serve on its own or over a mixed greens salad, lightly dressed with lemon and olive oil.