Back when I worked for McCormick & Schmick’s corporate office, I lived and worked downtown. It was great, mostly because I got to skip the awful driving commutes and just walk to work. The course I took home almost every day went down NW 10th Avenue past this little underground bakery called Nuvrei Pastries. Every day I would smell baking in progress, that fresh-out-of-the oven, hypnotizing smell wafting onto the sidewalk. The only reason I was able to escape each day without getting at least three pastries all for myself was that they typically were already closed when I walked by.
I would on occasion succumb to my taste buds, walk down the little flight of stairs and into their bakery kitchen. You can feel somewhat awkward being down there, since it is their main kitchen and not a coffee shop or cafe. But you will get over that quickly as you are greeted by a large display case filled with French-style breakfast pastries, fresh baked cookies and hot Stumptown Coffee brewing, all just for consumers. In particular their almond croissant, which they are now known for, is delicious. Another great Portland blogger Banana Wonder voted Nuvrei to have the best almond croissants in the city. I would have to agree. I love stepping in the little basement of Nuvrei, smelling the incredible treats, seeing the bakers in action, and indulging just a little.
What to Get:
- Almond Croissant: Flaky and buttery outside, light dough and fresh almond filling inside
- Lemon Poppyseed Scone: I am a little partial since I love anything lemon poppyseed, but these beautiful large scones are really great, with strong fresh lemon flavor and a sugar glaze on top
- Flourless Chocolate Cookie: Chocolately, chewy and delicious
- Location: UPDATE! The retail cafe is now open!
Nuvrei is located down the stairs of the 404 building. Their pink and white striped A-board sign out front and the amazing baked good smells will guide the way.
- Hours: Mon-Sat 7am-5pm; Sun 8am-5pm
- Parking: Metered street parking is available nearby
As Nuvrei is primarily a wholesale bakery, their sales counter is a silver of their kitchen space so there is no seating inside.The retail space is small so be aware that you might not get a spot to sit. So plan on enjoying your pastries at home or if it’s nice out, take a walk a few blocks down 10th to Jamison Square (on Johnson St) or Tanner Springs Park (on Marshall St) for great scenery and people watching while eating your treats
- Wholesale: Nuvrei Pastries are also available at several coffee shops around town.