When asked what kind of bakery I would like to open someday, I respond by saying that in my dream world it would be great place to take a date with sit-down service, cocktails and wine; a giant display case filled with beautiful pies, cakes and cookies would tempt you from the moment you walk in the door; and of course, it would be known throughout the city for its desserts. If you love desserts and have been to Portland at least once, this might sound familiar since my dream bakery is basically Papa Hadyn. It is pretty much the ultimate dessert location in Portland, whether you are there to celebrate a special occasion (we were there to celebrate our 2-year anniversary!) or just to satisfy your sweet tooth. While they offer great lunch and dinner, it’s really the desserts that brings people in the door.
With a dessert menu that is TWO FULL pages, plus typically another half page of dessert specials, they have just about anything and everything you could ever dream of – creamy Vanilla Crème Brulee, delicious Banana Cream Pie, rich Chocolate Hazelnut Torte, classic Chocolate Truffle Cake… the list goes on, literally.
With such a long menu, it can be a bit overwhelming trying to decide what to get. But for the most part, you really can’t go wrong with anything. These are my favorites:
What to Get:
- Boccone Dolce: A giant layered stack of crunchy sweet meringue, chocolate, fresh fruit and chantilly cream. This is definitely my favorite thing at Papa Haydn.
- Georgian Peanut Butter Mousse: Light and fluffy peanut butter mousse set upon chocolate buttermilk cake, then covered with milk chocolate ganache. I think anything with peanut butter and chocolate is already pretty amazing, but Papa Haydn goes above and beyond with this dessert.
- Berry Cobbler: I’m sure you are thinking, “you go to one of the best places in Portland to get berry cobbler? How boring!” I thought that exact thing when my brother ordered it one time, but I tried a bit and it was unquestioningly the best cobbler I have ever had. Luscious blackberries, raspberries, and marionberries topped with a crunchy, sugary streusel, served warm with house-made vanilla ice cream. Yum!
- Hours: Mon-Thurs: 11:30am – 11pm; Fri -Sat: 11:30am – 12am; Sun: 10am – 10pm
- Eastside location: 5829 SE Milwaukie Ave, Portland
- Reservations: Reservations are not accepted on Friday evenings and Saturday all day. Other days of the week, reservations are accepted by telephone only. Plan for about a 10-20 minute wait (for 2) on weekend nights. It’s worth the wait!
- To Go: If you don’t have time or the desire to wait, you can always get their incredible desserts to go!
- Parking: Trying to find parking on 23rd can sometimes be a nightmare. Try the small but somewhat-unknown Papa Haydn parking lot first. It is located on Irving in between 23rd and 24th (if you turn onto Irving from 23rd, the parking lot entrance will be on your left).