Flaxseed, no eggs and no butter – not exactly the ingredient list I would think of to create delicious desserts. Yet somehow Lisa Clark, owner of Petunia’s Pies & Pastries has mastered it. She has been able to transform the world of vegan andgluten-free treats from inedible, crumbly messes to high-end, beautiful, delicious pastries that even those without dietary restrictions crave. Myself included.
I met Lisa about two years ago from one of my good friends, Hannah, who studied abroad with Lisa in college. Knowing of my love of dessert and life-long dream to open a bakery one day, Hannah introduced me to Lisa, who was starting her own bakery, specializing in a gluten-free and vegan menu. With a charismatic personality and an impressive resume including Papa Haydn, which is renowned for its desserts, I knew her bakery would do great. Petunia’s certainly has, with booths at several different Farmer’s Markets, products at Whole Foods grocery stores, and catering for weddings. With an ever-growing list of treats including cookies, pies, and now even donuts, all of which are gluten-free and vegan, Petunia’s never seems to disappoint its loyal customer base.
This past Saturday, Hannah and I made our way to the PSU Farmer’s Market to enjoy the beautiful weather and to say hi to Lisa. Between the artfully displayed pastry case tempting us and Lisa’s generosity, we left with a bounty – a Thin Mint Cupcake, a Blueberry Lemon Glazed Cake Donut, an Apple Cinnamon Peanut Butter Donut, a Peanut Butter & Jelly Blondie, and a slice of the new Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Cookie Cream Pie. When I told Lisa it was too bad I didn’t go for a run that morning to compensate for all the sweets, she reminded me that her products are actually pretty healthy. Made with flaxseed, almond flour, Earth Balance butter spread instead of dairy butter, and other fresh, local ingredients, these treats are probably the tastiest good-for-you desserts you can find.
What to Get:
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Blondie: This was my favorite from Saturday – softened, chunky peanut butter wonderfully balanced by the fresh fruit jam.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Cookie Cream Pie: The name may be a mouthful, but this pie is mouth-watering – a delicious, creamy blend of chocolate and peanut butter with a hint of caramel, on top of a crust made with Petunia’s peanut butter oatmeal Cowgirl Cookie crust.
- Peanut Butter Crispy Bar: Imagine a yummy Rice Krispy from childhood, now improve it by topping it with creamy peanut butter, dark chocolate, and chopped peanuts. Somehow all made with gluten-free brown rice puffs, vegan marshmallows and no butter.
- Chocolate Chip Cheesecake: Rich cream cheese, a plentiful number of chocolate chips, and an Oreo cookie crust – it is so good, you will never believe this is vegan, I certainly didn’t.
- Farmer’s Market: Petunia’s has a great booth at the PSU Farmer’s Market at SW Park & SW Montgomery on Saturdays from 8:30am – 2pm.
- Delicious Menu of Items: Lisa is regularly coming up with new items to delight customers. Check the Petunia’s Facebook page for the upcoming market day’s menu.
- Wholesale: Petunia’s treats are also available at several locations around Portland including Whole Foods, Blossoming Lotus, Cloud Seven Café, Ruby Jewel Scoop Shop, Spoke Coffee, Mississippi Pizza and Seven Virtues Coffee.
*Update: Check out this follow-up post including a few words from Lisa!