Our final stop on our bakery crawl was somewhat of a challenge – we were so incredibly full after the first three dessert stops. But I was determined to finish out our bakery crawl strong and visit everywhere we planned, so we headed to Suzette Creperie, a funky little spot in North Portland.
It is half food cart and kind of half coffee shop. You walk down a little alley to an old Airstream trailer and order the crepe(s) of your choosing. While you wait for your treat, you can sit in their cozy indoor area on one of their random pieces of furniture that is decorated with local art and wacky items like an antique typewriter. Or if it’s nice out, you can lounge on their nice patio overlooking Alberta Street, which offers ideal people watching.
Whether you decide to go with a more savory option or just stick with the dessert selections, you will get to experience owner Jehnee Rains’ skill at making fantastic crepes – light, thin and not too sweet. Pretty much everything inside and topping the French pancakes are homemade – the chocolate sauce, the Nutella, even the ice cream!
Jehnee comes up with lots of unique flavor combinations and has daily specials involving seasonal ingredients. We decided to try their special for the day – honey butter, blackberries and wine-poached peaches, topped with their homemade fresh basil and pink peppercorn ice cream. That ice cream just sounded too wild, I had to try it. The crepe was fluffy and toppings refreshing, which was perfect for that warm night. The ice cream was creamy but a little overwhelming on the taste as it was very basil-y and not very sweet. It was so different though, it was definitely worth trying.
If you are more in the mood for a more dinner-like option, try the Smoked Salmon with goat cheese, spinach and capers. Great flavor, super filling, and that same great crepe.
I’ll definitely be back when I can stomach more than 3-4 bites and can try more of their fun crepes.
What to Get:
- Chocolat: Homemade Nutella, candied hazelnuts, and cinnamon ice cream. This ice cream is a pure winner – rich, creamy and wonderfully flavored.
- Create Your Own: Lots of options to choose from to craft a delicious concoction of your own, including lemon curd, marsala-soaked figs, marzipan, and fresh whipped cream.
- Hours: Wed-Fri 11:30am-9pm; Sat 9am-9pm; Sun 9am-4pm
- Beer and wine also served
- Gluten-free crepes are available
- Entertainment: Suzette plays movies on Friday nights and has live musicians on Sunday mornings
- No restrooms: As the space is more like a food cart with lots of seating, note that there are no restrooms on the premises.