The five of us had a “team” pre-race dinner tonight that was incredible – fresh pasta with homemade tomato sauce, eggplant and chicken parmesan, spinach salad, quinoa salad, and garlic bread. Yummy! If only I could eat like this every day (without having to run 26.2 miles every day, of course)!As I always love an excuse to bake, I offered to make dessert. I wanted to do something on the lighter side however and decided that a lemon pound cake with fresh strawberries sounded perfect. So as a new addition to Bakery Bingo, here is the recipe for you all to enjoy! It is fantastic and looks great, while not being too difficult or time intensive. It is adapted from Cooking Light, so it also isn’t too calorific – it is about 300 calories per slice as compared to Starbucks’ Lemon Pound Cake which has 490! Yet you wouldn’t think it was a “light” dish as it is still delicious!
Sour Cream Lemon Pound Cake
Active Time: 35 minutes; Cooking Time: 2 hours and 5 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon flour (or dry breadcrumbs)
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter (1.5 sticks), softened
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 (8-ounce) carton low-fat sour cream
- Frosting: 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Frosting: 1 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350°.
Coat a 10-inch bundt or tube pan with cooking spray, and dust with 1 tablespoon of flour (knocking off any excess).