In one of my recent blog posts, I mentioned one of my prized possessions – my restaurant spreadsheet. I got so many comments on it, I figured I’d write a blog post about it! So let’s get started.
Hello, my name is Erin and I am a total nerd who loves spreadsheets.
My Restaurants list is a Google doc – I admit I like Excel a lot more but with Google Drive, I can access it from both my computer and my phone, which is of course necessary. I’ve broken it down into multiple tabs filled with places to check out for dinner, brunch, baked goods or just drinks, brief reviews of restaurants I’ve recently visited, and a list of my favorites for future recommendations.
I’ve, of course to make this even more dorky, have highlighted the few restaurants I’ve been really dying to try. Those currently are:
- Khun Pic’s Ban Thai: I love the idea of this restaurant. A small Victorian house for the restaurant, only two people on staff – the owners who do everything, and some of the best Thai food in town. The downside is that they are only open a few nights a week and it can be pretty slow, which have made going there on a whim more difficult. But hopefully I’ll make it in soon.
- Langbaan: With PaaDee being one of my favorite restaurants in Portland, I can’t wait to check out their new multi-course tasting menu concept hidden in a backroom near the kitchen.
- Roe: Situated behind Block & Tackle and only open four nights a week for dinner, Roe has gotten some insane press like GQ’s #3 Best New Restaurant, one of Portland Monthly’s best new restaurants, and Willamette Week Best Restaurant of the Year. Enough said.
- The Woodsman Tavern: I admit I feel totally embarrassed I have still not eaten there. I need to remedy this.
Obviously, since this blog is a lot about bakeries, I’ve got a hefty list of sweet shops to check out as well including:
- The Pie Spot: I thought their mini pies at the Theo Chocolate for the Congo benefit at Little Bird a few months ago were some of the best I’ve ever had. I’ve been eager to see what they’ve got over at their store in NE Portland.
- Frice Pastry: I absolutely LOVED the St. Jack Patisserie on SE Clinton, run by Pastry Chef Alissa Frice, so I have no doubt I will love this place too.
- Fifty Licks Ice Cream Shop: After getting their soft-serve churro ice cream at Taste of the Nation last year, I’ve been dying to get over to their new-ish brick and mortar shop.
- Pip’s Original Doughnuts: I’m not really a doughnut fan, but I hear this place is amazing. Plus I love chai lattes and hear they have the best around.
Now while I love my spreadsheet, after reading Sarah’s blog post over at Will Run For Pasta, I’m also pretty obsessed with this personalized Google Maps. You can save all the places you want to try with little drop pins. I love that you can see everything by area since there are plenty of times I’m in one neighborhood looking for a fun spot to eat and this makes it really easy.
Where are your favorite restaurants? What about where you are looking to check out? How do you keep track of all the great places to eat at in this city?